Nonprofit Property Tax Exemptions

​Exemptions reduce the​​ taxable value, thereby reducing property taxes for real and personal property owned or leased, and exclusively used by one of the following nonprofit types:

  • Aircraft of Historical Signif​icance – Restrictions exist.  Please read the filing instructions on the application.
  • Cemetery – Restrictions exist.  Please read the filing instructions on the application.
  • Church – Primarily used by religious organizations that lease real or personal property exclusively used for worship and parking only. Those that own real property mainly file for a Religious or Welfare Exemption because the scope of those exemptions is broader.
  • College – For real and personal property exclusively used for private colleges.
  • Free Library or Museum – For real and personal property used solely for either a Free Public Library or a Free Museum.
  • Public school – For real or personal property leased by a public school and exclusively used for education and/or administration.
  • Religious – Church property owned and used exclusively for worship, fellowship, religious counseling, parking, and schools grades 12 and under.  One time only filing, exemption stays in place until use of the property changes.  Annual renewals are sent out to verify use and ownership.
  • Veterans’ and Welfare Organizations –Real and personal property must be owned and exclusively used for a veteran’s organization or for charitable, hospital, religious, and scientific purposes, including low-income housing.
  • An Organizational Clearance Certificate (BOE 277) is required for these exemptions and must be obtained from the CA State Board of Equalization.
  • Additional forms and supporting documentation will be required.

For more information regarding Welfare Exemptions please read Publication 149, Property Tax Welfare Exemptions
Annual filings are due by February 15 each year.  All of the exemptions on this page require annual filing, except for the Religious Exemption, which is a one-time filing.

Applications and othe​r f​orms needed to obtain these exemptions are located at the Exemptions Forms section of this site. ​​

If you have furthe​​r questions, please call the Exemptions Section at (916) 875-0720 (8am-4pm) or email us at